Sometimes, huge concepts like the wealth transfer seem like distant, pie-in-the-sky concepts … especially when we have not experienced them yet.
Proverbs 13:22 says:
“A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, but the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.”
We believe God, and we desire His promises. So, we pray and pray for the fulfillment of the promise; but we don’t know what else to do to actually make it happen.
However, anytime we dissect a historical occurrence of any phenomenon such as a transfer of wealth, we can see patterns we can replicate in order to see that phenomenon happen in our own lives.
And recently, the Lord showed me three key ingredients of the wealth transfer that we can each replicate in our own lives, in order to see the great wealth transfer come to pass.
Here are the three key ingredients of the transfer of wealth:
1. You must do business in a frontier.
Have you ever wondered how the great moneyed families of the Gilded Age (circa 1870s – 1900) were able to accumulate their legendary wealth? The primary reason is because each of them chose to do business in a frontier:
- Andrew Carnegie was the first to harness the power of steel in construction.
- The Vanderbilts were railroad magnates.
- The Rockefellers “dabbled” in oil.
- The King and Wetmore families engaged in the China trade.
- The Fair family made their fortune in a silver strike at the Comstock silver lode in Nevada.
These families each tapped into their own frontier.
And when they did, they found new and inventive ways to solve problems and serve people. They found frontiers where there was little to no competition. They discovered that new ideas could turn into profit overnight. Therefore, they were able to turn enormous profits quickly.
2. Hard work is required.
A person’s work ethic usually falls into one of three categories. Either:
- They work hard for others and for themselves; or
- They work hard for others, but not for themselves; or
- They value fun more than they value hard work.
Though we don’t always view it this way, work is a gift from God. He loves to see us work at what He has called us to do, and do so “as to the Lord, not unto men.” So, when He does something, it is usually going to require diligence, labor, and faithfulness to the work on our part.
No matter which category your current work ethic fits into, be aware that hard work will be required if you desire to see the transfer of wealth. It will take work to:
- form a business (whether for-profit or non-profit) which can gain, hold, and disburse the wealth that God wants to send you;
- identify and implement new ideas;
- build relationships with the people you serve; and
- continue to maintain a healthy spiritual life, personal life, and family life.
The good news is: once you get your business (your breadbasket) established and profitable, it takes less work to make a profit on an ongoing basis than it did at the beginning. The hardest work is at the very beginning.
And the third component of the great transfer of wealth:
3. To get started, you have to take a risk.
Andrew Carnegie took a tremendous risk by arranging for the first steel bridge to be built. The bridge almost bankrupted him, and he had no way of knowing that people would use such an innovative structure even after it was built. However, he believed that steel was the substance of the future, and he wanted to prove it and serve people at the same time.
The China trade merchants also took a huge risk every time they sent a ship to the Orient. Not only were they unsure that their goods would sell, but they also had to deal with the risk of potentially losing a ship due to weather, fire, or mutiny.
Likewise, the silver-mining kings had to deal with the risks of cave-ins, theft, empty mines, wild animals, lack of medical care, and many other uncertainties that went along with living in the undeveloped American Western frontier.
But they took calculated risks because they believed.
They saw the potential in their respective frontiers. They believed in their product or service, and they believed they would receive the results they dreamed of if they would just push into their vision.
And if we are going to experience the transfer of wealth in the Body of Christ, we must get back to the basic ingredients required for such a transfer.
What frontier is available to you today?
The American West is developed; railroads have been built; and oil and gas are readily available around the world. So how can Christians find a frontier in which to do business?
I believe the biggest frontier available to us today is e-commerce.
I believe the internet was invented for such a time as this–specifically to bless the Body of Christ and allow God’s people to gain wealth. Here’s why:
- It’s available to nearly everyone.
- Startup costs for most types of internet business are low, very low, or free.
- It provides an unlimited customer base. Through the internet, one entrepreneur can do business with people in every corner of the globe.
- An internet site or store is open for business 24/7, whether you’re sitting in front of your computer or not. (Remember the Proverbs 31 woman, whose lamp goes not out by night?)
- It allows for passive income, such as income through product sales and advertising revenue.
- There is a niche for everyone, from bloggers to preachers to sellers of shoes to travel guides. Every person can have his or her own brand; it’s completely unnecessary to work for anyone else.
I believe internet business is THE vehicle God has ordained to bring the Church the great transfer of wealth.
It allows you to become the head, and not the tail; above only, and not beneath (Deuteronomy 28). It allows you to maintain your unique identity and function exactly in your own calling and gifting. And the potential for profits based on creativity, new solutions, excellent service, and innovative ideas surpasses what was available at any other time in history.
God has called you to be the head, and not the tail; to lend to many nations and never borrow.
Jesus also said to occupy until He comes, which means “do business” until He comes. The only way to obey all these commands, as well as to receive the wealth He has promised, is to do business! Not for someone else, either–although we have to work for others and support our families if we aren’t yet in a position to stop doing so.
However, even if you are tied to a job working for someone else right now, you need to start a side business if you want to participate in the great transfer of wealth.
I recommend a business of your own, not buying into someone else’s great idea or multi-level marketing plan.
- Start a business that brings YOUR gifts, YOUR talents, YOUR story, and YOUR personality to the table of serving others as only you can.
- Start a business that will bring you into YOUR dream of serving for the greater good, and will bring YOU all the profits–both to enjoy and to disburse into Gospel work.
- And, because of the frontier factor, I strongly encourage you to pray about making your side hustle an internet business.
This is a practical analysis of how to participate in the transfer of wealth, but that doesn’t make it unspiritual.
God’s Word is full of practical instruction. Receiving any of His promises requires faith, revelation, AND obedience to the conditions.
The condition to the transfer of wealth is “occupy ’til I come.” The practical instruction is:
- that your lamp should not go out by night (Proverbs 31);
- that you should not have to borrow in order to start a business (Deuteronomy 28);
- that you have to have a startup–a basket in which to form your bread (Deuteronomy 28); and
- that you can have a business based on YOUR gifts, talents, and calling.
What are you doing today that will bring you into the transfer of wealth?
If nothing, then it’s time to evaluate how you can begin. If you are already participating, then press on with the leading of the Holy Spirit until the Lord brings you the results you have asked Him for.
Let Him build the house, yes; unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it. But building anything requires your work and participation.
From this day forward, how will you participate in His plan to bring you great wealth through business today? Leave a comment below!